Tuesday, July 02, 2019

WSPR from the Balcony

My AR activity is limited due to living in a flat, but I did run WSPR (rx only) overnight on 40m and some interesting results came in. The antenna was a Mag Loop (not very well tuned, I might add) and the balcony faces Northwest. The following is what we managed to decode: -



The interesting thing is the reception of the VK stations, as this path is blocked. I suspect that these signals are received long-path.  See the table below (click on the image to expand it): -


VK4AQJ came in at a SNR of -6 and -11 respectively, whilst all the other stations were in the -19 to 30 range (similar to the European stations).  This would seem to indicate that the VK4 may have been short-path.  All interesting stuff!  More testing required, I think.

Whilst I have been a licenses Amateur for many years, I have spent little time on the HF bands, so still have much to learn, especially regarding propagation.


No comments:

Post a Comment