Sunday, April 19, 2020

Chess on 40m anyone?

I've always been interested in digital modes and I'm old enough to remember the days of Packet radio and BBSs.  Well packet is not dead! It's used for APRS and now also for the odd game of Chess.  Yes you heard correctly.  Joel VK8JG and I had a game of Chess (whist maintaining social distancing).  We did this using 300 bd  AX25 Packet on 40m.  this was achieved by using a program developed by  Andrei UZ7HO.  (Check out the link at the bottom)


PR-Chess connects seamlessly to another program called Sound Modem, which is a software based Packet modem for Window.


This was fairly easy to set up with my IC-7300, using the usb connection into the radio. And I suspect that it would work well with any modern radio with the usb connection.

Both these programs would work well on 2m at 1200bd.  If  you want to explore online gaming at a slow pace, then why not give Chess a go!

Check out  Andre's software here.




No comments:

Post a Comment